Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
2 thick slices of country-style Italian Bread, baguette
1 garlic clove peeled
Extra virgin olive oil
To taste - Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
10-12 red and yellow/gold beets (about 3 lbs total)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
TT fresh black pepper
Arugula 12 sprigs
Mint 10-12 leaves
Soft goat cheese - enough to spread on each bruschetta and sprinkle to finish dish
PICKLING VINEGAR - makes 1 cup
champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar 3 oz
Granulated Sugar 3 oz
1.Grill bread over a medium hot grill (or under a broiler) until charred or slightly charred in places.
2.Remove bread slices from grill, lightly rub garlic to perfum the bread, then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
Bring ingredients to a boil and set aside to cool.
1. Preheat oven to 400. Scrub the beets and poke each with a fork a few times.
2. Put all in a roasting pan, uncrowded, with 1/8" water covering the bottom. Place in the oven foil covered. Roast the beets until they are tender all the way through. (when poked with a knife) 45 minutes - 1/2 hr.. - Let cool completely
3. Peel the beets well, removing all the skin, stem base etc. Small dice keeping the colors separate.
4. Pour to submerge the cubed beets in the pickling vinegar.
5. Place in the refrigerator and cool completely. After cooled drain and while keeping each color separate season with S & P.
6. Mix in the mint and arugula (reserving some for garnish) check seasoning. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.
7. Spread two bruschetta with goat cheese. And top with marinated diced beet mixture.